ಎಪಿಗ್ರಾಫಿಯ ಕರ್ನಾಟಿಕ- Epigraphia Carnatica- Vol-V (An Old and Rare Book)
|University of Mysore, Mysore
|English and Kannada
|1341 (Throughout B/W Illustrations)
|11.00 X 9.00 inch
Inscriptions are invaluable sources for the study of the language, literature, culture, and history of any region. Inscriptions constitute the heritage of a people. Fortunately, we have an abundance of inscriptions in our country. It is estimated that Kannada has the largest number of inscriptions, with the exception of Tamil. The number of such inscriptions as have not come to light yet and remained obscure is equally great. Efforts must be made to trace them out, collect them and publish them; it is equally essential that the published inscriptions are revised and analysed. This should more or less become a continuous process wherein revision and analysis are effected in the light of fresh evidences and researches.
The volumes of Epigraphia Carnatica mark a rare achievement not only with regard to the publication of inscriptions in Kannada but also in respect of such publications in any language. It is an achievement par excellence of which we may justly feel proud from the point of view of both copiousness and greatness. B. L. Rice, who, in 1884, was appointed part-time Director of the Department of Archaeology of the then Mysore State, collected 8869 inscriptions in the course of 22 years, i.e, till 1906, in the then eight districts of Mysore State and in Coorg, which was then a separate State. He brought out these inscriptions with their transliterations and translations in English in a series entitled Epigraphia Carnatica. In this series of 12 volumes. the inscriptions of each district were normally accomodated in one volume. One volume was set apart for the inscriptions of Sravanabelagola. (II). Two volumes each (III-IV, VII-VIII) were set apart for the inscriptions of Mysore, which then included Mandya also within its range, and those of Shimoga. R. Narasimhachar, who succeeded B. L. Rice, brought to light in the course of his tenure of 16 years nearly 5000 inscriptions. He started publishing the important inscriptions in the Annual Reports. The second volume of Epigraphia Carnatica (Sravanabelagola) was thoroughly revised by him and a new edition of it was brought out in 1923. The Department of Archaeology was under the jurisdiction of the University of Mysore between 1922 and 1944. The Curator of the Oriental Library used to officiate as a part-time Director Later though it became a department under the Government, the Professor and Head of the Department of History or of Ancient History and Archaeology of the University of Mysore continued to officiate as ex-officio Director. The department has been carrying on the survey of inscriptions, as a result of which new inscriptions are being brought to light year after year.
The volumes of Epigraphia Carnatica had run out of stock during the last few decades. Since they are essential source books to the students and the scholars alike, there was a long felt need for a revised edition. When the Co-ordination Committee for Research Work on Karnataka Life and Culture met on 24th January 1970, under the Chairmanship of Sri K. V. Shankara Gowda, the then Minister for Education, Government of Mysore, a suggestion regarding the revision and reprint of the Epigraphia Carnatica was made by the Director of the Institute of Kannada Studies. He even suggested that the Institute was prepared to shoulder the responsibility. All the members of the Committee resolved to request the Institute of Kannada Studies to work out the details of the scheme, to recommend to the State Government to provide funds for the implementation of the scheme, and to entrust the scheme to the Institute of Kannada Studies.
**Contents and Sample Pages**
We Also Recommend
The Original Programme of The Theosophical Society And Preliminary Memorandum of the Esoteric Section